BENEFITS OF ANCHORING NLP TECHNIQUES
How can the Anchoring NLP Technique benefit you?
The Anchoring NLP Technique is used to help remove mental triggers that cause you to experience unpleasant emotions due to a past event. Just as your mind can be triggered due to past trauma, you can program your mind with healthier triggers that help you feel calm, balanced and in control.
- NLP Anchoring Techniques help to change or eliminate specific personal behaviours
- Communicate more effectively with yourself & those around you
- Unlock powerful internal resources within yourself
- Remove beliefs that limit your life
- Choose your mental, emotional and physical states at will
- Improve your physical and mental health and take control of your life
If you don’t have control over outside events, know that you always have control over your own mind.
HOW DOES ANCHORING NLP WORK
You can change your state of mind in an instant!
The Anchoring NLP Techniques are a mental practise that is commonly used in Neuro-Linguistic-Programming, or NLP for short. NLP is the applied science of programming your brain patterns (Neuro) with the correct words and thoughts (Linguistic).
Your state of mind can change in an instant, causing your emotions and feelings to change with it. Take a moment to think of how you feel when someone toots their car horn at you. Imagine how you would feel if someone walked past you and bumped into you in the middle of the street. Then never turned round to apologize.
How would that make you feel?
The sound of someone ringing your doorbell will give you a specific feeling. This would be a feeling that is dependent on what or who you are expecting at the door.
Are you expecting the delivery of something you just bought on-line?
A friend coming over?
Or are you expecting the police to show up because you’ve been a very naughty boy?
Or girl of course.
This shows that it is not the situation in front of you that controls how you feel. It is your mental representation of that situation that controls how you feel.
THOUGHTS & EMOTIONS HAVE TRIGGERS
You can change those triggers!
In the science of NLP, and the Anchoring NLP techniques in particular, a stimulus that triggers a physiological state is called an “anchor”.
And these anchors can involve one or all of your five senses, those being sight, touch, smell, taste or sound. Someone touching you in a particular way could bring back thoughts and feelings from your distant past, for example.
Or the smell of a particular type of flower or scented candle could invoke feelings and memories from another time in your life. Whether that was a good or bad moment in time.
YOU EXPERIENCE ANCHORS EVERY DAY
Whether you are aware of these or not!
- Each and every day you will sub-consciously experience anchors that your conscious self will be completely unaware of.
- While you will be unaware of this, it is important to note that these anchors do effect us all. And they do change your state of mind, our thoughts, our emotions and our physiology.
- Remember, our four energy systems are all interconnected and what effects one system effects all the others.
- Stopping your car at a red light. Knowing the smell of smoke means fire. Having a natural inbuilt fear when a spider runs across the floor. All of these are forms of anchoring.
Many of the anchors the human race has evolved with in order to help keep us safe and away from harm. However many of these have little or no use for us in today’s world. However you can create a new anchor inside yourself and use this automatic reactionary thinking to your advantage.
Also, just as a new anchor can be created, so can an old anchor be dismantled. And this technique can be used to re-programme unpleasant or painful experiences from your past that have anchored themselves deep in your sub-conscious.
By changing your association or your feelings that are attached to your past painful memories you can progressively remove any and all negative associations. Including those that have been deeply traumatic for you.
HOW TO CREATE HEALTHY ANCHORS
You can create positive anchors to replace the negative ones!
- Decide on an emotion – First of all, you need to decide on what emotional state you want to achieve. Whether it’s peace, calmness, confidence or strength etc.
- Focus on the positive – What you do not want to do is focus on the negative. Otherwise this technique will not work. You do not want to focus on not being calm, not being strong or not being confident.
- Focus on what you want to feel – Remember, you need to tell your mind what you want it to feel. Not what you don’t want it to feel. This is the most important part of the exercise, you need to be very specific with how you want to feel.
- Choose a memory from your past – Now that you have decided on how you want to feel, you have to choose a memory from your past when you felt that same emotion you have just decided to feel. If you chose to feel happy, remember a time in your past when you were truly happy. The stronger the feeling of happiness in this memory the better, so choose a powerful one.
- Visualize and feel that memory – Have a think back over your past, close your eyes and visualize how happy you were at that precise moment in your past. Hear the sounds that you heard, the words spoken, feel the sensations on your body and re-live the experience as though you were actually living it all over again. That’s the type of emotion you have to recreate for this exercise to work.
EXPERIENCING THE ANCHORING NLP TECHNIQUE
Your negative emotions will reduce in intensity!
When you do this mental exercise you will notice that your emotions will gradually intensify during your visualization until they eventually peak, after which they will reduce in intensity.
Use this emotional memory – Repeat that visualization process, trying to re-live it and experience it in as much details as possible. This time however, when that same happy emotion is a fraction of a second from peaking in its emotional intensity, make a unique gesture with the fingers of one of your hands, or by using the hand itself, while simultaneously saying a unique word or phrase and while visualizing an image of your choice that represents that happy state of mind.
For example, at the moment of emotional peak, you could take your index finger, touch the wrist of your opposite hand then touch it’s palm, while saying “warm golden globe of joy” and visualizing a golden globe as your associative image.
Hold yourself in this state – for 5 or 10 seconds or so, allow the anchors to release and then completely remove yourself from that state of mind. By removing yourself from that state of mind, you would stop the visualization. Think about something totally different, stop the hand gesture and change the position of your body, so if you were sitting down, stand up and walk. The idea is, you want to completely disassociate yourself from the whole experience in an instant.
REPEAT THE ANCHORING TECHNIQUES
Regular practice is key to success with all NLP techniques!
That is the actual process involved in anchoring. However in order for this technique to be successful and to imprint itself within your mind, you need to constantly repeat the exercise straight away.
Repeat it 5, 6 or 7 times, making sure you try to attach as much emotional intensity as you did the first time. You will know that you have been successful with your anchor if you can then induce that feeling of happiness within yourself by simply completing one or all of the gestures.
Your state of happiness will surface within a matter of seconds. With a little patience, belief and practice, this technique will work wonders for you.
AN ANCHOR FOR EVERY OCCASION!
Grow your NLP anchoring arsenal!
Over time, build up as many anchors as you wish in order to control how you feel at any given time. You could have an anchor prepared to keep you confident while going to a job interview.
You could have one that keeps you calm while in a large crowd. Or you could have an anchor that makes you feel positive when you are experiencing a painful emotion from the past.
I should mention that, this technique is not about controlling your emotions, emotions are necessary and are healthy to have. This technique is simply about learning to use positive feelings to override the negative feelings you have associated with your emotions.
So you are not repressing your emotions, you are simply rewiring the neurological pathways within your brain. I personally have many anchors that I use, some on a daily basis, and with time, you will find that you can create anchors almost instantly, without the need for constant repetition.
Once your brain is well practised at creating new neurological pathways, you will be able to change how you think and feel about any situation you wish. It works, give it a try and it will change your life.
KEY POINTS TO REMEMBER
These are important points you should remember while doing the Anchoring NLP technique!
They are as follows:
- You must only use a powerful and intense state of mind, or a strongly felt experience from your past in other words. Without the intense emotion this techniques will not work.
- You have to repeat the process a handful of times during each session. And you should complete the exercise again every so often to ensure the intensity of your anchor does not fade away.
- Ideally, you want to spend at least 15 to 20 minutes anchoring if you want to become good at it. However, it’s difficult to generalize the length of time it’ll take you as everybody will have a varying ability.
- Use a unique anchor, or gesture, when you are visualizing your past memory. This is so you will not activate it by mistake by making a gesture you commonly do each day.
- Now choose an experience from your past memory that is not mixed with other emotions. If it’s only happiness you want then choose an occasion when you were only happy. And not an occasion when you were feeling another emotion at the same time.
- Your timing when you release your anchor is vitally important. You need to start your anchor gestures just before your emotions peak and then release before that emotional peak fades.
OTHER NLP TECHNIQUES THAT MIGHT HELP
Try these other NLP techniques to help change your mind!
Try the Anchoring NLP techniques for yourself and take charge of your mind and your life today. Don’t forget to check out our other NLP technique known as Reframing NLP, which can be very useful in helping you change perceptions and behaviours or the NLP Fast Phobia Cure, which is ideal for beating those fears and phobias that plague your life.